Friday, August 7, 2009

Gift Giving




"Give experiences as gifts, not stuff. Instead of shopping for someone come birthdays or Christmas, think of an experience you can give them instead. A date with you, doing something fun, hanging out, cooking, playing, talking, exploring. A fun time at a park or beach. Something other than everyday. An experience is much more meaningful than an object." This is taken from the article from Zen Habits that I just mentioned.

I have already made up my mind that I am making homemade or as close to homemade/handmade gifts for Christmas and Birthdays.
One reason was the cost of things and how ridiculous gift giving can get. I am always flattered that I have been thought of by so many people, but I also appreciate a card with a handwritten note in it just as much!
The second reason is that when I have given handmade gifts the reaction that people have to receiving that gift is better or more so than getting something mass made. Last Christmas my family exchanged some gifts that were made by women in 3rd world countries and that with the purchase of them it helps them to have a better life and support themselves. To me that is meaningful as well.

A particular gift that I am looking to give is canned goods. People go crazy for the peaches we can and you'd think that we gave them something that cost 100's of dollars. Though I am biased the peaches are delicious and I have yet to have any that are better!

I also agree that taking someone out for a meal and good conversation could be the best gift they could receive. Or a simple cup of wonderful coffee and company. It truly IS the thought that is the most precious part of gift giving rather than what you are giving.

1 comment:

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

LOVE the idea - I am on the same page and thankfully our family is not a big high pressure gift family - thinking about gift baskets from the goodwill all decked out and full of canned goods and recipss this year!
Thank you for your lovely comment!