Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Finances

It's always in the back of my head.....$$$ I would say I have done fairly well considering my expensive taste and lack of financial education. It never donned on me that in school I never once had a class on making change or managing my own finances. We briefly touched on that subject in Home Economics, but it was how to balance a check book. Nothing on saving, debt, mortgages, or things that we have to deal with.

I am almost 27 and have NO DEBT. Yes, I was blessed that I had a mother that planned ahead and paid for my education, BUT she worked 2 jobs and had a masters degree and SAVED. She did inherit a little and I mean little bit of money but put that towards my education. My father contributed briefly and very little, considering I am a girl (female expenses that male students never have to worry about, whether necessary or just feminine) and I was expensive in college, having never worked and not realizing that money is not long lasting and hard to earn. When I was growing up I begged to have a job like my friends, mum said you have the rest of your life to work (so true) and my responsibilities were to get good grades and excel in my music. I do wish I would have learned to set aside 10% of whatever money I got into a savings and to keep a set amount out for church (I always tithed).

I love to read about financial advice. I like to find out how to be frugal and neat tricks to putting away money (like saving spare change or certain bills like all $5 dollar bills). I love the no brainer just put away ANY amount of money and that is SAVED:)

Money doesn't buy happiness because if you can't be happy without money, you'll never be happy with money. It sure does make things less stressful for everyday expenses and bills :-p

No comments: